Saturday, December 1, 2007

some randomness...

call it telepathy, extrasensory perception, e.s.p....call it whatever you want, but i do know that what sometimes happens between my twin and i is really quite "humorous." in all my years growing up, time and time again when it was discovered by others that i was a twin and right after they asked me if i was identical, the next questions would be... "if she's in pain do you feel it? can you tell when she has a bad day?" and blah, blah, blah. i've never really felt i had an appropriate answer. mostly because i'm not sure if what i feel with her is abnormal. i've always been a twin...so what's so abnormal about what she and i experience together? i don't know any different. well, it hasn't been until she's moved far away that these "moments" are a little more obvious.

like for instance, last year on our birthday she calls me up and tells me about this great album she had just purchased of which was released almost 5 years ago. and yet, I had purchased the same album earlier that day. or when i called her up last week and i hear her in her car listening to the same song she and i had both burned a copy of....again....unknown artist of which she and i had never discussed before. but most notably (and probably the reason for this post) is what happened a couple saturdays ago. i sit down to do a little catching up on my oprah watching and i begin an episode (which aired weeks ago) only to discover that an old boyfriend of my sister's is on the show. i had to call her. without giving her a chance to say hello, i blurt out, 'you are going to die!' she then responds, "oh don't worry, i'm already dying because i'm watching oprah and "mr. x" is on." i started laughing and screaming hysterically. i finally get a chance to tell her that is the exact reason i was calling. turns out that she and i are watching the same episode, from days earlier and with a 30 second time delay....

so there you have it. there's my answer. we may never feel a toothache when the other visits the dentist, and i'm sure it's safe to say my twin never felt any such thing when I gave birth. and honestly, some of the times we just don't understand each other. but every once in a while, we are reminded that we are a lot more alike then we probably give ourselves credit for.


that was then...


this is now...

24 comments:

Lindsey said...

I am totally laughing over this one. If I could only tell you how many times Jon and Tyler show up to events wearing the same clothes that they didn't even know each other had! As a twin's spouse I can see it all from outside looking in and there really is something different!

The questions you get asked are always funny. Although an even funnier or rather stranger question that I receive is "are you attracted to his twin?" ...uhh??

Lindsey said...

PS. we like to call them "twincidences"

Trish said...

Wow...I am absolutely amazed. I don't think Jesse has coincidences like that with James...but who knows. They are boys and probably don't notice. They both have shaved their heads to be bald...does that count?

Granum Family said...

You two are so beautiful. I always wanted a twin :)

Palmer Family said...

I have never seen your twin before! You guys are identical! How fun to have that "connection" between you!

janae said...

That is pretty cool. what I am dying to know is who was Mr.X on Oprah, you need to call and tell me.....Puhlease!!

Muranda said...

I'm sort of dying to know who was on Oprah as well. Please tell Sara hi for me, or you would email me her phone number...murandabarker(at)gmail.com

Unknown said...

that is so cool! i've always wondered how it would be to be a twin.
you two are both gorgeous!

Kelie said...

that is so neat! And you two are beautiful! I think it would be fun having a twin because you would always have a best friend! lots of love!

Michelle said...

Hi, I am a lurker on your blog, I just LOVE your photography, anyhow...
I just had to post after reading this posting of yours. I am an identical twin myself, and my sister and I have gotten those same questions asked before. I never felt her pain, but we have at different times known the other was hurt. The best question we have ever heard though, was "how do you tell yourselves apart?", and this was a serious question, too! We have also shown up to events wearing the same outfits, all the way to matching earrings. It is fun to find out other twins have similar things happen to them!

Lucrecia said...

What beautiful women! I love this story. The two of you are so lucky to have each other.

Jen said...

You two are as adorable as ever!

The Christensen Family said...

Gorgeous picture of you girlies! I love the old one too! I miss you! I need the details on Oprah. How long has it been since we have hung out?! Um - forever?! Stop it with your busy schedule! I love you.

martha corinna said...

CRAZY!
My identical twin brothers are the same way. I wish I had a twin.

Laurie said...

It would be much more fun to BE a twin than to be the mom of twins!
I love hearing these kinds of stories. It makes me wonder how tight my boys will be growing up. Love it!

Brooke Romney said...

You guys are so cute!!! I'm so happy to see a picture of Sara P!! Next time you talk to her, tell her hi from me. You are both so gorgeous. Loves.

Beth said...

K-I had NO idea you had a twin-how did I miss that one? You both are beautiful but I do think you look a lot different. Fun post to read!

Shannon said...

That is so cool! I always thought it would be so cool to be a twin!
You guys are darling, i am sure it is so hard to be far away from each other too.
So why was her ex on OPRAH?? ;)

It's Been a Day! said...

amazing! those are some great stories!!

Douglass Family said...

That is CRAZY Stuff! I love how close you two are! Hope that Sarah is well!

megan said...

You both are so beautiful. Great picture. I love hearing that you guys are totally connected. I think that twins can speak spirit to spirit. That is so crazy about the CD that is random!

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

I'm not sure that JT and CJ have that kind of connection, but he says that his Mom used to catch them having conversations with each other while they were sleeping! Like everyone else wants to know, why was your sister's ex on Oprah?

and p.s. you guys are beautiful, but I have to know who is the one with the droopy knee high in the younger picture?!

brittani c. said...

Wow, I do remember those days in grade school. I love both pictures...cute Perry girls.

Jenn Granum said...

SO much fun to have a twin!